Both of the candidates running in the November 8, 2022, general election for Florida House of Representatives District 37 — incumbent Carlos Guillermo Smith (D) and Susan Plasencia (R) — completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
Eighty-eight of the country’s 99 state legislative chambers will hold regularly scheduled elections in 2022. The Republican Party controls both chambers of Florida’s state legislature. Florida is one of 23 states with a Republican trifecta.
Here are excerpts from candidates’ responses to the question: What are the main points you want voters to remember about your goals for your time in office?
- “Gun Reform is needed so families can feel safe and to lessen gun violence in Florida.”
- “We must protect Abortion Healthcare Access and reproductive rights.”
- “We must support teachers and public school administration/staff. Paying them living wages.”
- “The Federal Government is the main driving force of our high gas prices. I support suspension or tax holiday from the State Gas Tax.”
- “School Safety Create an environment which lowers the cost of housing by working to remove red tape that hinders home builders while continuing to protect the rural boundaries.”
- “Our children are what is most important to us. I support and will work with Law Enforcement to provide Resource Officers in our schools.”
Click on the candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.