Both of the candidates running in the November 8, 2022, general election for the Guilford County Schools school board At-large seat in North Carolina— Alan Sherouse (D) and Demetria Carter (R) — completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
The Guilford County Schools Board of Education consists of nine members elected to four-year terms. Eight members are elected by district and one member is elected at large. According to the Guilford County Schools website, the board members “establish policies that govern our school system, including its curriculum, facilities, financial resources and personnel.“
Here are excerpts from candidates’ responses to the question: What are the main points you want voters to remember about your goals for your time in office?
- “Working for equity. Our public schools represent our best collective opportunity to impact the lives of our children and youth.”
- “Valuing teachers. Our GCS professional educators should be trusted, empowered and supported to ensure their longevity and thriving in our system, as well as the continued growth of our students.”
- “Improving Facilities. With the approval of the recent SMART bond, GCS has a tremendous opportunity to provide new and renovated environments for our students and educators.”
- “When elected to the GC BOE, I will advance the rights of parents to be involved in their child’s education.”
- “When elected to the GC BOE, I will fight to ensure our schools educate and provide opportunities and resources to and for students to excel academically!”
- “When elected to the GC BOE, I will ensure our schools are neutral places of learning and are safe places of learning! All politics must be eliminated from our schools. Teachers must not be allowed to tell a child she/he is essentially worthless due to the color of their skin. Moreover, no teacher is qualified to discuss gender identity or gender-affirming care with any student.ey are not qualified to”
Click on the candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.