Both of the candidates running in the November 8, 2022, general election for Montana State Senate District 42 — Mary Anne Dunwell (D) and Matt Olson (R) — completed Ballotpedia’s Candidate Connection survey. These survey responses allow voters to hear directly from candidates about what motivates them to run for office.
Eighty-eight of the country’s 99 state legislative chambers will hold regularly scheduled elections in 2022. The Republican Party controls both chambers of Montana’s state legislature. Montana is one of 23 states with a Republican trifecta.
Here are excerpts from candidates’ responses to the question: What are the main points you want voters to remember about your goals for your time in office?
- “I’m a pro-choice candidate with experienced service leadership for public benefit, not my personal gain.”
- “I have a strong background in revenue policy and continue to promote and vote for a fairer tax system. We must stop giving unfair tax breaks to the wealthy and big corporations at the expense of hard-working Montanans and small businesses.”
- “My job is to serve you, whether you vote for me or not. When people ask me if I’m a Democrat or Republican, I reply that I’m a fellow Montanan with integrity, courage, and compassion, and the Democratic candidate for SD 42.”
- “I am honest and have integrity . I WILL NOT make promises just to get elected. I will lead by example by studying issues to the best of my ability . I will show up to work.”
- “I will uphold our Montana and United States constitution. Our personal rights and freedoms must be protected.”
- “I believe in fiscal responsibility. We cannot continue to spend borrowed money. That is why it is so important to get team members back to work and provide an environment where business can thrive. We are only able to provide programs from tax revenue. If we cannot earn it, we should spend it.”
Click on the candidates’ profile pages below to read their full responses to this and other questions.
We ask all federal, state, and local candidates with profiles on Ballotpedia to complete a survey and share what motivates them on political and personal levels. Ask the candidates in your area to fill out the survey.